Welcome to Gaia! ::

You do not Duel because...

you despise Mahayr. 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 1 ]
you despise someone else in here. 0.125 12.5% [ 3 ]
you are, as accused, CHICKEN! 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 2 ]
it is beneath you, you are just that good. BUT too chicken to prove it. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
you have too much on your plate for lowly duels, and are CHICKEN! 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 1 ]
there is not enough to be gained, you are greedy. 0.25 25.0% [ 6 ]
Other... post your own answer. 0.45833333333333 45.8% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 24 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 63 64 65 > >>

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The Love Mutt
knight_of_chivalry
The Love Mutt
Heh, I am DAMNED proud of myself. Three duels in a week or two. And I thought it could take months 3nodding sweatdrop Yay me!

But waiting for judging is painful stressed Hope you don't get too tired of my writing. SORRY ABOUT THE VAGINAs!

You're telling Adi "sorry about the vaginas".

Somewhere in here, is a form of irony. I just can't place it right now. But I know it's there, and damn amusing to boot.

question

He mentioned in the Acumen that he doesn't like female squidgy parts. I was apologizing xp

But I wasn't offended. wink

Judged entries for the double barrel coming up. 3nodding
ME VS ZERO!

thy majesty,
you have nothing --

nothing
compared to what cryptic static,
these climactic verticals hold.
I shiver here alone, free, but
lost in technocolored hells on
channels one through twelve.

I'm walked beside in the alley
by the bright diode light emitted
by semiconducted chemistry;
freed of my fear by
the synthetic meds my doctor fed me
after I told him I believed in
the holy ghost and that
I heard doctrine in my head.

thy majesty
you mean nothing --

your flowers and trees
are shedding their leaves;
as I gleefully choke them
with high rise shadows,
parch them to death with
concrete encased streams.
and run sewer drains into
your green pastures.

someone called deus
called me on a payphone last night
but I,
distracted by a charming man
on the circle nine channel screen,
forgot to get past '"hello?" --
moved on to peruse a forgotten apple
resting on a shattered t.v. in hell's kitchen,
but it was already rotten;
bitten and full of worms.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image
*Challenger name: Knight_of_chivalry [O]
*Defender name: The Love Mutt [O]
*Bet: 1K
*Type of Duel: Regular
*Judge: Adimurti
*Subject: Confidence
*Style/Form I prefer: Free verse
*Bets Paid: Knight_of_Chivalry; The Love Mutt

knight_of_chivalry
Aqua-man

Last night I drank
The bottle
Of blue-Velva
____________Felt-the
______________ Sm-oooth ,
______________________ ahh
________________________-qua flav-
_______________________________aaah
(Focus man! )
Five-hour scented showers
_________Singing “Vedi, Vini, Vici”
___________Getting ready to dance like MJ
__________________Shock and amaze the DJ
______________________Make a killin’ jus’ by chillin’
________________________And skillin’ and <insert adjective here>‘illin
Seducing my mirror
____Ruthlessly hunting down stubbles
__________________Admiring my muscles
_____________________Tellin’ all the snow-whites
_________________________Of their “gunshow” troubles
___________________________(“sorry ladies, closed …for monogamy”).
Dress impeccably
_______So impeccable it’s objectionable
___________________Indeed quite abominable I'm not sure on 'abominable' - it's a bit too much of a mouth full to me after 'impeccable' and 'objectionable'.
______________________That it’s actually quite accomplishable
And yet –

I grew two left feet
on the living room dance-floor
as I saw her,
___________Indescribable
_______________________yet
__________________________________________________________________________More, Why is this so out of the way? I think the emphasis could be placed on it a little more subtly.
and suddenly
my “Ah’s”
t ur n
to a sickening, stuttering,

“U-Uh…”

God, these are hard to crit. The only problem I have is (not a big issue, to be honest) the sudden shift from confidence to doubt. In a way, it reflects the sudden shift you'd imagine when she entered the room, on the other hand I'd like to see a bit more of a transition, or even a bit more of a preparation for it. It feels like the self-doubt just kicks in too abruptly. I didn't even notice the complete lack of punctuation until my second read, so kudos for that (usually it pains me to see), and the confidence is sickly but not. ( confused ) Once you reflect on it, it's kind of like "whoa! Here, take this slice of humble..." but while reading it, the only way I can describe it is fun.

The Love Mutt
I powder my boobs I powde- size 36C -
'cause they = so white (though I'm normally ohso
brown) 'n' I talk 'bout my vag I think 'ohso brown)' could have their own line. I'm not sure why but the way it is now doesn't feel like it's that way for any reason.
(it's singing your praises) 'cause it's empowerin'

Yell it out with me
Yell it ***PUSSIESUNITE***

'My v****a is a shell, a round pink tender
shell' I don't think the repetition of 'shell' is needed.
shell' shell' -says the girl to my right
Ain't it obvs that we love ourselves enough I get the 'obvs' but I think it sounds out of place and practically tripped me up when I read it. Maybe stick with 'obvious'?
Ain't it obvs that we love oursel(too much?)

Speakin' 'a' self-love-
My vmy vibe needs some Oomf. Wanna help me with
that? 'Cause you'n'me, we both so Fly

I wanna learn to fly, since my I think finding a way around 'fly' here would work better, mainly because I'm not fond of it being used in this getting-generic context.
EGO ain't quite carryin' me
up
upup
up up uaway

Guess I'll chill for now 'n' settle for
guess i'lmoanin':

moaning:c**tostclitvagtvag
moaning:combo c**t-vag
moaning:almostclitvagright-on
moaning:uninhibited militant bisex-
moaning:oh s**t

uninhibited militant bisex-'n' so on, so forth since
guess i'lyou ain't gettin' laid yourself
(sucks to be you).

But hey. Don't be hatin'- I hate this phrase, but don't feel the need to change it. That's just out and out personal preference that I felt the need to state.

not every v****a has the balls.

The only thing that stuck out to me was the abrupt 'c**t/vag/clitvag' stanza. It felt like it came from no-where for some reason. Maybe try and link it more to the previous stanza or tone it down so it isn't so in your face after what precedes it. You word play was fun to read and take in, but playing on ideas words and phrases has always been a soft spot of mine in writing. On another note - you should be studied for getting me to enjoy something related to female reproductive organs. Ew.

Well - this is a difficult one to judge (and after thinking I'd have another crit to hopefully knock the scales before having to judge. :le sigh:). Both took the context in a great light, and played with ideas, as well as presenting them without the need of consistent imagery and description. Both presented different levels of confidence, but equally as well. However, I'm going to declare knight_of_chivalry the winner for this one, for his stronger connection to the reader, brought through in the poem.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image
Double Barrel Duel - First Barrel Critique

*Challenger name: The Love Mutt (Clarice) [O]
*Defender name: cafebrulot [O]
*Bet: 3K
*Duel Type: Double Barrel.
*Subject I prefer: The Ocean.
*Form: Anything loosely structured
*Bets Paid: The Love Mutt; cafebrulot.

The Love Mutt
sticks
beat waves
onto water surface.
splash becomes tide becomes
Symphony.

The first three lines read as a fragment to me. That's my only problem with it. The last two lines read awkwardly the first time, but once you get the beat of the fourth line, it works so no issue there. There first three lines also some nice alliteration and consonance going on, so if you decide to re-word to make it more fluent, try not to lose that.

cafebrulot
the sand beneath my toes was gone,
but I had feeling in my hands;
a someone gently by my side.

there was no horizon on the sand.
we walked away, hands intertwined,
toward never ending, empty gray. I'm not fond of this use of 'grey' (<< British spelling, don't even think of correcting me scream ). It's too obvious in relation to 'emptiness'.

the water sprayed and realigned
our locks of hair in salty dreads --
our footing; slowly undermined

by constant breaking pallid heads.
they had eroded where we stood,
replaced the sand with void instead. This line reads awkwardly to me. Try rewording it? I'm also not keen on 'void'.

with every bit of strength I could This reads a little awkwardly to. There's the expectation of something like "collect" following 'could' but then nothing does.
I pulled him up to match my stride
as any caring parent would,

but soon enough the rising tide
and cold enveloped everything.

Some of the images you showed were really nice, and the tone throughout was nice too. There's a couple of parts where I feel your rhyme got in the way and the flow of the lines suffered a little for it, but I think you can work around those. The scene, though, was lovely and easy to obtain, which is always a plus.

To be honest, I think both of you could have gone for something structured a little less, but it's your work. Looking forward to the edits. whee

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Reminders

User Image
Enguard!

*Challenger name: The Love Mutt (Clarice) [O]
*Defender name: cafebrulot [O]
*Bet: 3K
*Duel Type: Double Barrel - First Critique [O]
*Subject I prefer: The Ocean.
*Form: Anything loosely structured
*Bets Paid: The Love Mutt; cafebrulot.
*NEED! - Edits Posted.

User Image
*Challenger name: caffine (Whoppers) [O]
*Defender name: The Love Mutt (Clarice) [O]
*Bet: 1K
*Type of Duel: Regular
*Form: Free-Verse
*Subject: Fire
*Bets Paid: The Love Mutt;
*NEED! - Bets to Judge. ENGUARDE!
Hey Adi,

Ours was a regular duel, not a double-barrelled...

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
knight_of_chivalry
Hey Adi,

It was...?

I was sure it was double-barrelled. Oh, well. That makes this even tougher. eek
Adimurti
knight_of_chivalry
Hey Adi,

It was...?

Yeaa, it was supposed to be a regular, 'though there was a mistake made when it went onto the front page, which prolly cause the confusion... it's all good man. Thanks for the crit though smile

(And the furthering of "more" isn't meant for emphasis. It's symbolic.. because his fantasies get wilder and wilder as the text goes to the right, having "more" furthest to the right is supposed to symbolize her description to be in fact beyond his wildest fantasies... whether or not I communicated that properly or not = up to you and all, but, just to explain myself smile )

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
knight_of_chivalry
Adimurti
knight_of_chivalry
Hey Adi,

It was...?

Yeaa, it was supposed to be a regular, 'though there was a mistake made when it went onto the front page, which prolly cause the confusion... it's all good man. Thanks for the crit though smile

(And the furthering of "more" isn't meant for emphasis. It's symbolic.. because his fantasies get wilder and wilder as the text goes to the right, having "more" furthest to the right is supposed to symbolize her description to be in fact beyond his wildest fantasies... whether or not I communicated that properly or not = up to you and all, but, just to explain myself smile )

I think it was Mutt mentioning two double barrels tipped me onto confusion. xd

I got that as a given, but not put across - if that makes sense? Putting it so far to the side like that made it read as if it had been put as it's own stanza, to me. But that might just be me? Maybe consider changing it if you get critiques suggesting the same in the future?
whee

Judgement Edited! With me becoming more and more uncomfortable about my duel with Ed.

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Adimurti

The Love Mutt
sticks
beat waves
onto water surface.
splash becomes tide becomes
Symphony.

The first three lines read as a fragment to me. That's my only problem with it. The last two lines read awkwardly the first time, but once you get the beat of the fourth line, it works so no issue there. There first three lines also some nice alliteration and consonance going on, so if you decide to re-word to make it more fluent, try not to lose that.

To be honest, I think both of you could have gone for something structured a little less, but it's your work. Looking forward to the edits. whee

@This- You felt the first three lines/first sentence sounded fragmented? Any particular reason?

@Knight- Congrats!!!!

@my v****a poem- Glad you enjoyed it, haha. Regarding the shell line, that's a line taken directly from v****a Monologues, so it's Ensler's repetition, not mine (did I not leave that note? there were.. three (?) Vagmon references in here, including the moans - the part that stuck out to you)
Awesome smile

@ Mutt

Hey, good fight smile

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ah, well leave the references in. whee

And it's the third line more than anything. It reads as a whole as if there's a word missing and it impaired the flow.
Quote:
Challanger: cafebrulot
Defender: zero the last decepticon
Type of Duel: Regular
Bet: 6K
Judge: Sin Apophis
Subject: God, Technology; an intermingling of the two.

cafebrulot
thy majesty,
you have nothing --

nothing
compared to what cryptic static,
these climactic verticals hold.
I shiver here alone, free, but
lost in technocolored hells on
channels one through twelve.

I'm walked beside in the alley
by the bright diode light emitted
by semiconducted chemistry;
freed of my fear by
the synthetic meds my doctor fed me
after I told him I believed in
the holy ghost and that
I heard doctrine in my head.

thy majesty
you mean nothing --

your flowers and trees
are shedding their leaves;
as I gleefully choke them
with high rise shadows,
parch them to death with
concrete encased streams.
and run sewer drains into
your green pastures.

someone called deus
called me on a payphone last night
but I,
distracted by a charming man
on the circle nine channel screen,
forgot to get past '"hello?" --
moved on to peruse a forgotten apple
resting on a shattered t.v. in hell's kitchen,
but it was already rotten;
bitten and full of worms.

Critique:

I really enjoyed this poem. It was heavily Biblical and laced with technological ideals. The third stanza (I’m walked beside in the alley…) and the fifth stanza (your flowers and trees…) are quite powerful, rich with vivid imagery, and have subtle, yet powerful point. I enjoyed how skillfully you intermingled the two themes chosen for the poem. Some trouble areas: The first six-line stanza doesn’t grip me, and it should seeing as it’s the first major body text that the reader comes across. The use of several hard ‘c’s in the stanza are distracting. Also, the lines “thy majesty, you are nothing” add bulk to the poem and could be easily removed; they don’t read with enough purpose and aren’t powerful enough, so they sit like dead weight. If you were to revise this, I’d say trash the two-liners and work with the rest. The last stanza is nice, but it also seems awkward following the former stanza, probably due to the clashing styles, word choice, and ‘scene’. This isn’t a bad thing, but it pulled me out of the poem a little bit. Overall, however, another beautiful poem, skillfully done.

zero the last decepticon

Master Blaster

I met God behind a dumpster in a Southside back alley,
screaming pagan magic makes the rack fall, earth sink,
time blink and coasting across the threshold of nth.
See, I can't quite put my finger on the reason, but
creator's dust musters patience for this treason.
It's Big Bang in a bottle, mass produced for the idiots
that slink around the pulpit wondering where all the time went.
This s**t is pertinent and relevant, so bag, tag and embellish it,
because for a thousand ******** years, I swear it's gonna be regret.
So we build Scions for synagogues, Jeeps for the people,
as they sing like the drowning little masses in the steeples.
Man, I need a new fire to light, when i see a bum Jesus
begging quarters for the plight.
I bet he drinks like a shark and swims in fear like a Hobo,
while smoking ten packs a day, moving in slow-mo.
They'll download his fading health to every i-Pod Nano,
singing songs by teen pop idols, and throwing real faith out the window.
I'm waiting for retribution in the form crushing earthquakes
that cover up the false-iron-idols we create.
The cities fall like panties drop in co-ed dorms
and people flee from wrath, divine, while seeking to reform.
The master of the universe now comes with parts, directions and recession,
as we gnaw apart this faded life like fat kids chew confections.
Sad but true and missing pieces; trick and treats resound.
Living in your text is nothing too profound.
I die in this chair, I s**t where I eat, my life is now complete,
so my deity takes me away from this place, tasting nothing but subtle defeat.

Critique:

I like this poem because of the blatant distaste for society’s mainstream. When I read your poem, I pick out the subtle technological references and the not-so-subtle, and generally these all coincide with images of a “bum Jesus” or some other 21st century manifestation of the divine as less than pure. I enjoyed that theme immensely. You’re the master of heavy poetry with thick lines that just ooze clarity of thought and theme and I really thought the idea of material-s**t overpowering the once simple lifestyle through God (at least, that’s what I read of it). I particularly liked the lines: “It's Big Bang in a bottle, mass produced for the idiots,” and “They'll download his fading health to every i-Pod Nano, / singing songs by teen pop idols, and throwing real faith out the window.” The line “The cities fall like panties drop in co-ed dorms” made me laugh. Although I can’t say your poem is beautiful, I realize it wasn’t meant to be, and the language you use completely parallels the image / message you’re trying to give. The only problem I kept running into was the use of your rhyme scheme, which sometimes pulled me out of the poem.

Both poets really showed their skill in taking two completely different themes and weaving them into one another. They were both wonderful, powerful pieces and I was so absorbed into each of them. However, after an incredibly hard deliberation (and I mean, way hard), I had to rule zero the last decepticon winner, because I thought he incorporated both themes into his poem just a fragment more skillfully than his opponent. But amazing job, both of you!

Shy Sex Symbol

The Love Mutt
In regards to Ed's duel piece:

Don't forget it's (Teleprompter termination) divided into (information plus interpretation) - i think.

Also, Ed, I think it would have been written as [ Teleprompter termination/(information + interpretation)] ^ sweet sensation...

You don't use the

really, unless the entire equation is just the division.. if that made sense. sweatdrop

oh, is that how it's supposed to be?

*scritch scritch*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas